Sunday, May 15, 2011

Memorial Service

And it is Sunday. First thing this morning, a memorial service for classmates no longer with us was held in the hotel. Pastor Bill, a member of the group had planned it and provided the candles, altar, music. When he read remarks Munn had written before arriving, he asked him to give the message and Munn did. It was very moving and the guys want copies of it. Candles were lit and placed on the altar by a member of the class as each name was read. Several members of the class participated in the readings.

Many of us could not really speak immediately following as it was so moving. More than one Marine choked on his words at the pulpit. Not a dry eye at some points. A long time coming for these men to do this together and experience healing. Eleven of their number were killed during the war.

There is a plan to do this again in 5 years. I don't think any of them wants to let go of what they experienced. Several said it was just the sense of being together again that was important to them whether they all knew each other or not and many did not know one another. To steal a phrase, for a few days they were a Band of Brothers.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like it was a very moving time and that some healing took place. My dad has always said, "Anyone that has been in Viet Nam has my eternal respect & gratitude. There is no other war like it." Thanks for the blog. I'm reading in reverse days, but I'll catch up now that I know that you are doing it. I forwarded the link to my dad too.

    ReplyDelete